• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2xLoser-

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I am getting a divorce, was spose to be uncontested, now she wants me to take on more debt, I dont want to go the contested route, I just want this over with. My problem is that she wants to stick me with her car, it is in both our names, and i know i am responsible for the debt, but she was to take it, and now wants me to eat it, it has 38k left on the note, it is worth 19k (her bad decision that i supported).

Ok, thats what the problem, here is what i am stuck with, i moved out like 4 months ago, and she has created a ton of new debt since i left, if i decide to go the contested route, make her sell the house and all that... am i responsible for her debt she created since i left?

Basically, should i eat the truck to go uncontested instead of eating all her new debt?

mistoffolees

Ok, thats what the problem, here is what i am stuck with, i moved out like 4 months ago, and she has created a ton of new debt since i left, if i decide to go the contested route, make her sell the house and all that... am i responsible for her debt she created since i left?
If you had not filed for divorce, then you are responsible for half. If you had filed for divorce by then, then you shouldn't be responsible.

2xLoser-

damn, not what i wanted to hear... i have filed the petition last week, but i have been out of the house for 4 months, and she has continued to rack up the debt.

so basically, i need to eat 20k in negative equity in a car that i will never drive... crap.

mistoffolees

damn, not what i wanted to hear... i have filed the petition last week, but i have been out of the house for 4 months, and she has continued to rack up the debt.

so basically, i need to eat 20k in negative equity in a car that i will never drive... crap.
Well, you'll have to pay for HALF of the negative equity - unless you can work out a deal with her that she takes on a larger share.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well, you'll have to pay for HALF of the negative equity - unless you can work out a deal with her that she takes on a larger share.
Not quite. Spouse who is driving the car who gets the benefit of the car will be paying the debt on the car.

mistoffolees

Not quite. Spouse who is driving the car who gets the benefit of the car will be paying the debt on the car.
IF she keeps it. But if it's underwater by $20 K, she'd be foolish. She's better off to sell it and he'd then be stuck with half of the negative equity.

2xLoser-

i didnt think of it that way, she has to eat 1/2 the debt too... but how do you get rid of a vehicle that you are 20k upside down in without ruining your credit?

mistoffolees

i didnt think of it that way, she has to eat 1/2 the debt too... but how do you get rid of a vehicle that you are 20k upside down in without ruining your credit?
You tell the court you want it sold and for each party to pay half of the whatever debt is left after the sale. As long as the debt is paid off, it won't damage anyone's credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">