• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debt made in my name after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wenwas

What is the name of your state? wisconsin
my ex and i were divorced in nov 99'. i just found out that after we were already divorced that he put my name on a loan with his name .our divorce decree says that my bills are mine and his bills are his. he put me as his spouse in 00' and had my address as his when i never even lived in the city he lives in. he negleted to pay the loan and it went into collections and eventually to court in oct 01' and he hasnt paid off the judgement that was ordered. at the time he took out the loan i was already married to my current husband. my question is what can i do to get my name off this judgement and what can i do about him not following our divorce decree and ruining my credit in the process. i dont know if he has other things in my name. i know that wi requires creditors to notify spouses of any loans or credit cards a spouse takes out but he had my address as his so they just sent the letters of notification to there.

ellencee

Try posting this is another section on the forum, small claims court or such.
You've let a year go by with your name on a judgement and you did not appear in court to dispute the legality of the debt or to show fraudulent loan application.
You may suffer the consequences of those actions. I don't know; post it in the more appropriate section of the forum. There is someone with the initials of ?H, maybe even SH, that would answer!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">