• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debt problems unable to get property put in my name as court ordered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DownwardSpiral

my ex wife and i bought a gateway computer on payments .. i didnt have the credit to get it .. so she did and they sent it .. she left some time later .. in the divorce proceedings it was stated i had cpu in my possesion nothing more .. and i never even signed anything .. i got laid off and continued to pay until my unemployment ran out .. i paid on it for roughly 2 years .. never missed a payment til my unemployment ran out and i was still unable to get a new job.. creditors began calling my ex wife because it was in her name .. her lawyer has been taking me to court .. im suppose to be there tomorrow the 28th of jan. but am currently 500 miles or so away looking for work in a more oppurtunistic place.. their court papers say if i do not have it exclusively in my name by the 28th that i will be incarcerated. I have called gateway numerous times .. they will not put it in my name because i have no credit.. i asked about sending the cpu back to gateway they said no i cannot do that .. her lawyer has informed the judge she does not want it any more.. so therefore they are saying i cannot return it to her either .. is there anything i can do other than get incarcerated until i get it put in my name (which would translate into forever because they will not put it in my name) i am laid off .. and owe so much on the cpu and some fines that i am unable to attain the services of an attorney to represent me in this matter .. can you please give me any advice that you can state: Tennessee

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You had two years to deal with this problem and now, on the eve of trial, you're just now asking for help ?

It's too, too late.

But, I can help you in terms of what to pack - -

1. Change of underwear

2. Your toothbrush

3. A tube of K-Y Jelly.

Good luck.

IAAL

D

DownwardSpiral

no i paid on it for two years .. no probs .. probs didnt start til i got laid off and my unemployment ran out and i cuoold no longer pay .. just been gettin harrassed for a couple months by her lawyer bout it .. and i just found this place .. and posted in the astronomical hope that i might get some intelligent responses that may be of some help

vrzirn

Too little, too late, however----tomorrow CALL the court. Speak to the judge's clerk(no messages left on voice-mail) and explain where you are and why. Ask for a continuance and follow up with an overnight letter to court explaining your circumstances. Start saving like mad(no pizzas or 6-packs) and pay off the computer.

D

DownwardSpiral

no way im wastin any cash man .. im tryin to get a job .. til then i have no money to spend but i think i got a lead on one .. will make payments then .. my mom showed to court for me and got judge to postpone it til march 27th so if one of these job applications come thru ill be ok :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">