• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Settlement, Medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

volsfan75

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I am in the middle of preparing divorce papers to file, and am not sure about how to handle some of our Medical Debts. My wife and I have 1 child to our marriage, and 1 child each from previous relationships. Would the Medical debts as a result of our prior children normally be split, or are we each obligated to assume responsibilty for our own childs medical expenses which were incurred during the marriage.

JETX

Each of you should already have an 'arrangement' for your own children.

Barring an unusual situation, each of you should be equally liable for your 'common' child(ren).

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I am in the middle of preparing divorce papers to file, and am not sure about how to handle some of our Medical Debts. My wife and I have 1 child to our marriage, and 1 child each from previous relationships. Would the Medical debts as a result of our prior children normally be split, or are we each obligated to assume responsibilty for our own childs medical expenses which were incurred during the marriage.
Since medical debt is normally split with the child's OTHER parent, then I would think that you would each be responsible for the medical debt for your own child. However, I am sure that there could be circumstances where that would not be the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">