• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debt ,two states,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dazednconfused

What is the name of your state? CA,
my husband and I have separated since1 April he now lives in OR , he has accumilated debt of about $3000 since then, This is our second marriage for both of us, we have been married for 5yrs an 4 months, all thru our marriage we have had separate bank accounts and separate credit cards, Since he is now a resident in Or where do we file for divorce? Am I responsible for debt he has made since he left the joint residence? we paid jointly for Rent or expenses. He has a car loan in his name of $30 000. What can be dne with minimal of effort and fairly?:)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA,
my husband and I have separated since1 April he now lives in OR , he has accumilated debt of about $3000 since then, This is our second marriage for both of us, we have been married for 5yrs an 4 months, all thru our marriage we have had separate bank accounts and separate credit cards, Since he is now a resident in Or where do we file for divorce? Am I responsible for debt he has made since he left the joint residence? we paid jointly for Rent or expenses. He has a car loan in his name of $30 000. What can be dne with minimal of effort and fairly?:)
He is not a legal resident of OR yet. He would have to live there for six months before he could file in OR. Therefore only CA would have jurisdiction at this time.

Since CA is a community property state, your separate finances aren't necssarily going to help you. Get a consult with an attorney asap.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">