• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debts!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jessica in CO

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Colorado
My legal separation was finalized on Aug. 2, 2005. The separation agreement did not specify who would be responsible for credit card payments, only that upon sale of our residence, the debts would be paid off. The house has been listed for almost 4 months and we have since had to reduce our asking price. Not all debts will be paid at our current asking price. He has several credit cards in his name only and three are joint. Can I ask the court, based on this information, to only pay those joint accounts from the sale of the house?

Zephyr

you can ask the courts for anything, I think this request is a reasonable one. Are you sure those cards are not in any way attached to your name, not even as a cardholder?

make sure the joint ones are paid off first, then the other ones, if it's in his name only the cc companies are only going to go after him only, they don't care about marriage or divorce, the names on the account are the people (person) who they will hold responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">