• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

purplegirl

i am in the state of illinois. my husband and i have separated. he incurred significant debt prior to our marriage -- credit cards in his name only. he purchased a house prior to our marriage -- mortgage in his name only. during the marriage he continued to incur credit card debts on cards that are in his name only. we never had any joint checking, savings or credit accounts. now he claims that i am responsible for his debts. the only property i have as a result of his debts is my engagement ring (which he can have back if he wants) and some smaller gifts.
am i responsible for credit card debt that is in his name only that was incurred during our marriage? (we were only married 11 months prior to our separation).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">