• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceitful pregnancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

creepellla

north carolina. i am now engaged to a man who was slammed with papers saying his ex-wife had a child from their marriage. they have been divorced almost two years and have had no contact. she never contacted him and told him about the child until now. the child will be two in a few months. the papers are accusing him of neglecting to support and maintain this child he just found out about. she is sueing for child support for almost two years. they also agreed when they were married not to have children and her doctor said she would have to have hormone therapy to have children as she doesn't produce eggs. how can someone go behind your back and have therapy to get pregnant, knowing the other person doesn't want children, then divorce, have the baby, not tell him, then sue him for not supporting a child he didn't know he had? I appreciate any advise on this. thanks

nailtech

I'm not a lawyer... but had dealings with child support before...

was the child listed in the divorce papers?
In texas you can not sue for back child support unless a Judge and ordered them to pay child support,...

In other words, I filed on an ex boyfriend for child support when my daughter was 12 I was not intitled to get money from him for anything before that because I never took him to court and no judge ever assigned me child support so therefore he was never behind...

so how can she make him pay for something no one has ever ordered him to pay for...?? Ask for a paternity test first, because in texas if you just pay child support for a child for 2 years your automatically stuck paying even if the child is not yours you can not contest paternity after two years of paying... I dont see how she can slam him for back payment unless she can produce papers from a judge that ordered him to pay to make him default... get a family lawyer to help you. your going to need one anyway if she's taking you to court... good luck...

maybe you should threaten to sue for custody, she may back off then depending on her circumstances... obviously she is needing the money for some reason if it's taken her 2 years to having taken him to court... I have known women who would try and get the father sign over his rights to keep from loosing their children or letting the father have visitation rights... but even that depends on the state of mind of the mother... if she thinks she's in for a costly custody fight she may even tell him its not even his, then if she does get it in writing.. have you seen the birth certificate is his name on it?

S

scumcoast

He sure better look at the divorcee date started, final and the date the child was born. If she was pregnant then and failed to to tell anyone you may have some power as to back support. But you need to use that as a good reason for asking for dna testing if he questions paternity. Dont wait respond asap to the support complaint.

C

creepellla

deceitful pregnancy

can a man sever his parental rights? if so, how do you go about it?

nailtech

will your state allow it, is the question, and will the mother agree... other than that i'm not sure..... but i will search for you...
for her to make you sever your paternal rights, she's going to have to either want you to stay away from the child, or have a better offer.. trust me, i'm a mom... if she's going to get more money from you than a husband, she's going for you... but if she thinks your going to go after the child, she may consider releasing you... know what I mean??

here is one link to search, then I will post the mail link... you can check all you want for your answers.....

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/StatutesTOC.pl?0049

main link...

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/statutestoc.pl

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">