• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Decree Admendment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chicagogirl08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

:) Good morning everyone!

About a month ago I went through a divorce and everything was agreed upon and it went very smoothly. I went over the decree last night and noticed that under awarded property an item had been left out and wanted to amend it. I called the court and they told me I would need to add that item to my decree along with the word amended on it and have both my ex and I sign it and send it in with a $20 processing fee.

My questions,

1. What is the easiest way to go about changing the decree? I do not know anything about this as I am not very experienced in this area. :eek:

2. Does the amended decree have to be notarized? The court did not tell me if it needed to be they just said it needed to be signed. :confused:

I appriciate any and all help as I know your time is of value. Thank you!

mistoffolees

1. What is the easiest way to go about changing the decree? I do not know anything about this as I am not very experienced in this area. :eek:

2. Does the amended decree have to be notarized? The court did not tell me if it needed to be they just said it needed to be signed. :confused:
1. Do what the court told you to do.

2. Do what the court told you to do. If they didn't say it needs to be notarized, then it doesn't need to be notarized. If they didn't tell you to sign it while standing on your head under a full moon on Thursday, then don't do that, either.

chicagogirl08

1. Do what the court told you to do.
Thank you for your reply. I guess my only concern was that on my decree there is a column to the left with numbers down the side and then of course the sections on the decree (IE: 3.3). I cannot copy then add in a section and reprint it as the numbers to the left cannot be changed without having to redo all of them and I do not know how to do that. So I didn't know if there was another way around amending it. I have seen those forms that specify the section to be amended and then signed by both parties but don't know if that is legit. Anyway thanks again I do appriciate your help.

P.S. Maybe I should sign it on my head under a full moon, a little moon luck never hurt nor a little insanity (ha ha) :D

LdiJ

Thank you for your reply. I guess my only concern was that on my decree there is a column to the left with numbers down the side and then of course the sections on the decree (IE: 3.3). I cannot copy then add in a section and reprint it as the numbers to the left cannot be changed without having to redo all of them and I do not know how to do that. So I didn't know if there was another way around amending it. I have seen those forms that specify the section to be amended and then signed by both parties but don't know if that is legit. Anyway thanks again I do appriciate your help.

P.S. Maybe I should sign it on my head under a full moon, a little moon luck never hurt nor a little insanity (ha ha) :D
Let me ask you a question...what is the item? Does your ex agree that you get to keep the item? Is it an item that is solely in your name anyway?

The point I am making is that it may not be necessary to amend the agreement, and/or it may open a big can of worms to attempt to amend the agreement.

Tell us what it is and whose name it was in, and you will get better advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">