• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Decree of Separate Maintenance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

divine1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
I have been separated from my husband for about a week and was informed by my mortgage company I need to do a decree of separate maintenance or his income will be used to determine what I am eligible for and how much my payments will be. I have already contacted family court and they told me if I don't know how to do it myself then I will need an attorney. An attorney costs too much therefore I would like to do it myself. Does anyone know where I can get the forms for free and who I need to speak with to take care of this proceeding?

divine1

Help

I was informed by a lawyer that in SC there is no such thing as a legal separation but for religious reasons I don't want a divorce. I need his name off of the loan in order to move forward. If he doesn't sign the documents what can I do?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
I have been separated from my husband for about a week and was informed by my mortgage company I need to do a decree of separate maintenance or his income will be used to determine what I am eligible for and how much my payments will be. I have already contacted family court and they told me if I don't know how to do it myself then I will need an attorney. An attorney costs too much therefore I would like to do it myself. Does anyone know where I can get the forms for free and who I need to speak with to take care of this proceeding?
If you plan to act as your own attorney, you will need to read all the rules of court and rules of procedure for your county. Go to your county courthouse to find forms, or find them online. Google them.

Silverplum

I was informed by a lawyer that in SC there is no such thing as a legal separation but for religious reasons I don't want a divorce. I need his name off of the loan in order to move forward. If he doesn't sign the documents what can I do?
You can't have everything you want in life. Pick one. Run with it.

nextwife

Your payments on a refinance will be whatever the loan rate and terms are. Mortgage payments are a straight calculation of the interest rate, the amortization length and the amount financed, plus any PMI that may be charged.

In most states, in the absence of a divorce or legal seperation, he can still be held liable for any debts you incur while married. Thus it would make no sense for him to sign over his interest in the property now.

scwife

Humuslvr,
The OP may be gone, but I found this thread via google, and posting a viable answer may in the future help someone else like me looking for info. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">