• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deed to property or Quit Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Natsha

What is the name of your state?CA
Married 15 years - Purchased home 3 months before we were married and my name was not on the original deed. My spouse and parents were on the deed, Although we occupied the house from day 1 and have always been on the loan docs. his parents loaned us 40,000 for a down payment. My question is: We've since refinanced and his parents Quit Claimed the property to read as "a gift with 0 monies due to my husband and myself" Do I own 1/2 of the property or our his parents entitled to any monies if we divorce and sell the property. My husband claims I would only receive 1/4 of the value. I claim that the Quit Claim over rides any previous deed. Is this so? :cool:

Minnesota

Why don't you call the County information phone number in your area
and ask for property records department and ask them how to find out
if you are on the current deed, or his parents are? You may have to go
down there and prove with ID who you are for the info. If they say they
won't give it to you then ask them how to get it. Some counties have
their deeds posted on computer and some don't. If you don't get anywhere
with them then call an Attorney and ask them. Just a phone call or 2 will
get you started with some answers. Good Luck. ~Mary~

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">