• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Default Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roble

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida

I filed a mutual agreement divorce in august 2008 which my wife never signed. In october 2008 I filed a default divorce (no signature needed from her part) but she answer it. I wasn't agree in what she was asking for. We were send to mediation which heven't go yet because our attorneys are trying to negociate before mediation. My wife called me to let me know that she won't accept any offer from my part and that she won't go to meadiation also. She's not willing to negotiate our case and I think I'm loosing my time and money. Is there any way that I can go to a trial and the judge decide for us or do I have to go to mediation anyway?

jbdhayes

In some states mediation is required before a divorce to see if the parties can come to an agreement. However, mediators are well trained and a good one can change the stubborn mind. If it is required she will be going whether she likes it or not! If it's not court-ordered or required than I say skip it!

mistoffolees

In some states mediation is required before a divorce to see if the parties can come to an agreement. However, mediators are well trained and a good one can change the stubborn mind. If it is required she will be going whether she likes it or not! If it's not court-ordered or required than I say skip it!
Good advice, but you didn't address the situation where it's court ordered and she still refuses to go. If that's the case, then ask the judge to find her in contempt and/or issue a default judgment without mediation.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida

I filed a mutual agreement divorce in august 2008 which my wife never signed. In october 2008 I filed a default divorce (no signature needed from her part) but she answer it. I wasn't agree in what she was asking for. We were send to mediation which heven't go yet because our attorneys are trying to negociate before mediation. My wife called me to let me know that she won't accept any offer from my part and that she won't go to meadiation also. She's not willing to negotiate our case and I think I'm loosing my time and money. Is there any way that I can go to a trial and the judge decide for us or do I have to go to mediation anyway?
Mediation is required in FL. You show up at the appinted time, if wife doesn't show up, the mediation will be canceled and then a final hearing date can be set.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">