• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Default judgement or fight it out???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goliath7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Wife served me with divorce papers. We have one minor child. We were very careful and kept all pre-marital assets separate. She is requesting custody. Her attorney placed only half of my salary on the child support worksheet thus reducing my CS payment greatly. We currently get along great and I get to see my daughter every Tuesday, Thursday, and every other Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Wife is also requesting my 2001 Truck but her attorney listed it as a 1991 truck.

So...if I let it default:
Will the child support judgement default to the amount she has listed???

Will I be obligated to give her my truck since the year is incorrect in the complaint?

If I fight it, what are the odds of me getting custody of my daughter?

Will the child support worksheet and truck information need to be corrected?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Wife served me with divorce papers. We have one minor child. We were very careful and kept all pre-marital assets separate. She is requesting custody. Her attorney placed only half of my salary on the child support worksheet thus reducing my CS payment greatly. We currently get along great and I get to see my daughter every Tuesday, Thursday, and every other Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Wife is also requesting my 2001 Truck but her attorney listed it as a 1991 truck.

So...if I let it default:
Will the child support judgement default to the amount she has listed???
Yes

Will I be obligated to give her my truck since the year is incorrect in the complaint?
Probably, since that is easily corrected even after the judge signs off on it.

If I fight it, what are the odds of me getting custody of my daughter?
Slim to none.

Will the child support worksheet and truck information need to be corrected?
The child support may have been done that way because you have very close to a 50/50 custody arrangement. However, if it was a mistake, then eventually it will get corrected. You should admit that the truck information is stated incorrectly and let that be corrected ahead of time. Playing games never ends up well in the long term.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">