• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defaulting on a mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ehsdancr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I have not yet filed for divorce. My husband is threatening to default on the mortgage. I have two small children and don't know what I should do. Can he do that. Can he legally be stopped while I persue the divorce?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

nextwife

Pay the mortgage yourself. Or talk him into selling the house and get your own after the divorce.

If you don't have a job, get one. You will need it to pay the mortgage if you stay there. Even if you are granted primary custody and get child support.

How long were you married?

mistoffolees

Pay the mortgage yourself. Or talk him into selling the house and get your own after the divorce.

If you don't have a job, get one. You will need it to pay the mortgage if you stay there. Even if you are granted primary custody and get child support.
She can also file for temporary support to carry her through until the divorce is final. No guarantee it would be enough to cover the mortgage, but she's likely to get something in this situation.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She can also file for temporary support to carry her through until the divorce is final. No guarantee it would be enough to cover the mortgage, but she's likely to get something in this situation.
Also no guarantee that he would pay. Realistically he cannot pay the mortgage if he doesn't feel like it. It screws his credit and may get him a contempt IF the court orders he must pay it. However there is nothing forcing him to actually pay it.

mistoffolees

Also no guarantee that he would pay. Realistically he cannot pay the mortgage if he doesn't feel like it. It screws his credit and may get him a contempt IF the court orders he must pay it. However there is nothing forcing him to actually pay it.
True. However, he's much more likely to pay it if there's a court order.

nextwife

I did not mention it because I have no idea how short term the marriage is, whether the poster has their own income, whether the house is a premarital or marital asset, or anything more than the poster has two young kids and is female. She may have no reason to qualify for s. support.

ehsdancr

Defaulting on a Mortgage

We are married 2.5 years. I am employed and make about 20k; which is not enough to handle the mortgage. My husband has a good job and can afford it. Obviously, he is doing this out of spite, because I have initiated th divorce. But I want to make sure I have a roof over our heads. The house is a joint pre-marital asset; which was a mistake on my part I'm sure.

nextwife

We are married 2.5 years. I am employed and make about 20k; which is not enough to handle the mortgage. My husband has a good job and can afford it. Obviously, he is doing this out of spite, because I have initiated th divorce. But I want to make sure I have a roof over our heads. The house is a joint pre-marital asset; which was a mistake on my part I'm sure.
A thirty month marriage is VERY unlikely to result in spousal support.

Who has use of the house right now - or are you both there?

If you cannot afford the mortgage, how will you be able to refinance him off the loan and keep the house? Is there equity? If upside down, you do realize that you and he are jointly liable for the shortfall on the mortgage?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">