• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Definition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohio_res_jen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

May be a stupid question but want to be sure

My final decree is dated February 1, the stamped Entered date is February 8th. My decree states that ex has within 60 days from journalization of the decree to get belongings. Is that the entered date or the final court date of the divorce? Wishing it's the February 1 but I doubt it.

ohio_res_jen

Thank you. Believe it or not he wrote an email asking for his stuff on the 7th but I didn't see it until the 18th. I don't check email often. As far as Im concerned it is abandoned property. If he really wanted it he should have stopped by when I was home or even mailed a letter on how to contact him. I started getting rid of it on the 16th.

ohio_res_jen

Im assuming I'm in the right. He had his 60 days to get here and get it and now it is over the 60 days. (actually he had since June 2015 to pick it up)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you. Believe it or not he wrote an email asking for his stuff on the 7th but I didn't see it until the 18th. I don't check email often. As far as Im concerned it is abandoned property. If he really wanted it he should have stopped by when I was home or even mailed a letter on how to contact him. I started getting rid of it on the 16th.
Then you have issues. You shouldn't have started getting rid of it. You can be found in contempt. Why didn't you call him about his property?

ohio_res_jen

He waited for 59 days. I don't feel like I'm in contempt because Court order says "REMOVED within 60 days" His email asked for after the 8th. I didn't see the email until the 18th. He should have just came over and he could have got it all, I had it in one place. Oh well, not much I can do anyway. Plus I didn't start removing things until the 17th.

Last edited:

Silverplum

He waited for 59 days. I don't feel like I'm in contempt because Court order says "REMOVED within 60 days" His email asked for after the 8th. I didn't see the email until the 18th. He should have just came over and he could have got it all, I had it in one place. Oh well, not much I can do anyway.
Then why ask?

You might be called to account for your actions. Might not.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Im assuming I'm in the right. He had his 60 days to get here and get it and now it is over the 60 days. (actually he had since June 2015 to pick it up)
Uuuuuummmmm..... no. He had until a certain date, and he informed you within the correct time-frame. Not his fault you didn't check your email until after that window or after you started disposing of his stuff. Expect to be cited for contempt and probably required to make him whole.

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Not only did you not check your email... but apparently you also didn't check your own thread.

Knowing that this deadline was coming up, you should have checked for messages from every source he might
reasonably attempt to communicate with you.

Could he have done more? Sure. But were you correct? No.

ohio_res_jen

I still have his family things, like photos and all. I don't use the email that he sent the email to anymore, it is a junk catcher. But thanks for the info. Whatever happens, happens. I just needed to know that law. And if he don't do anything, how long before I can dispose of all things? I can't continue being a free storage unit forever. Thank you, appreciate your help.

Silverplum

The 16th...

Silverplum

He waited for 59 days. I don't feel like I'm in contempt because Court order says "REMOVED within 60 days" His email asked for after the 8th. I didn't see the email until the 18th. He should have just came over and he could have got it all, I had it in one place. Oh well, not much I can do anyway. Plus I didn't start removing things until the 17th.
Or the 17th...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I still have his family things, like photos and all. I don't use the email that he sent the email to anymore, it is a junk catcher. But thanks for the info. Whatever happens, happens. I just needed to know that law. And if he don't do anything, how long before I can dispose of all things? I can't continue being a free storage unit forever. Thank you, appreciate your help.
Be an adult and call him. If you could exchange bodily fluids with him, you can call him and try arrange pickup.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Be an adult and call him. If you could exchange bodily fluids with him, you can call him and try arrange pickup.
For the inevitable reply of "Why should I have to? It's HIS stuff, let him contact me!" - if the goal is to get this guy out of your life then suck it up and deal with this. The sooner it's handled, the sooner he's out of your life.

ohio_res_jen

Hey I'm not bitching, I just want to know the law. He wants it he knows where it is. I appreciate the advice about the law. That's all I needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">