• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

definition in protective order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

windowwink

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
I have a permanent protective order against my husband and I am permanently and totally disabled. The protective order says (to my husband) "you will not interfere with or change the petitioner's [utilities]." What does interfere with mean? The water is going to be shut off on Monday due to non-payment. The electric and gas are soon to follow. I am trying to get a divorce, and a separation would be good in the mean-time. What can I do by Monday?

seniorjudge

Q: What can I do by Monday?

A: Pay the bills.

I don't understand your problem. How is your former sweetie interfering?

windowwink

While we have been married, he has been the bread winner and I have taken care of his children and the house. I can not hold a job because my disability has me in and out of the hospital. Recently, my husband got "bored" and decided to experiment with recreational drugs. In the last two months he has been arrested twice and been charged eight times with violence-related charges. He beat me twice and sent a maintenance man to the hospital for trying to protect me. he can not just suddenly stop paying the utilities when I have been dependent on him for years.

mistoffolees

While we have been married, he has been the bread winner and I have taken care of his children and the house. I can not hold a job because my disability has me in and out of the hospital. Recently, my husband got "bored" and decided to experiment with recreational drugs. In the last two months he has been arrested twice and been charged eight times with violence-related charges. He beat me twice and sent a maintenance man to the hospital for trying to protect me. he can not just suddenly stop paying the utilities when I have been dependent on him for years.
Actually, he can - until you get a court order stating otherwise. If you had filed for divorce, you might actually have a stronger position, but you didn't mention that in your post.

You really need to see an attorney.

seniorjudge

Thank you for posting.

Please answer this question:

How is your former sweetie interfering?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">