• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(In Delaware) why would he contest it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pearl Case

What is the name of your state?delaware

I filed a divorce petetion in Delaware and the responder never picked up the certified noticed. With less than a week before the hearing he files for a (20 day) extention (which was granted). So now he wants to contest it!

I don't understand what benefit it is to contest the divorce. Please offer any thoughts.

cyana24

Not a clue. I live in DE also and DE is a "no fault" state with no "brownie points" given to the one who has not committed any any acts that could be construed as marital misconduct. That is to say, "contesting" would not result in an increase in the property settlement award or any alimony award. My own ex was a lying, cheating dirtbag but my lawyer advised me that contesting would only end up costing more money. Do you earn more than he does? Perhaps he's hoping that you'll have to pay for some portion or all his legal fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">