• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Delay of dissolution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I try and consider all the garbage people tell me with a grain of salt but here's something that concerns me.

I filed the dissolution package at the end of Nov., we were, and still are in full agreement with the terms of the dissolution. Our court date is Feb. 4th, which ends up as a pretty quick process. During our marriage we never attended any counseling classes to try and save our marriage. I have been told by two people their is a good chance the judge will delay our dissolution for a cooling off period and tell us we have to seek marriage counseling. Is this possible! Neither one of us has any desire to try and work things out, she moved out and is already talking about getting remarried this summer(which would save me a bunch of money in spousal support). Our kids are 18 and 15 and will staying with me so they will be financially cared for. Does a judge have the right to delay this if both of us say no we want it done right now?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I try and consider all the garbage people tell me with a grain of salt but here's something that concerns me.

I filed the dissolution package at the end of Nov., we were, and still are in full agreement with the terms of the dissolution. Our court date is Feb. 4th, which ends up as a pretty quick process. During our marriage we never attended any counseling classes to try and save our marriage. I have been told by two people their is a good chance the judge will delay our dissolution for a cooling off period and tell us we have to seek marriage counseling. Is this possible! Neither one of us has any desire to try and work things out, she moved out and is already talking about getting remarried this summer(which would save me a bunch of money in spousal support). Our kids are 18 and 15 and will staying with me so they will be financially cared for. Does a judge have the right to delay this if both of us say no we want it done right now?

A judge would do that IF one of you filed a motion for conciliation and the other didn't fight it. But I have been in many counties and I have not seen in any of them a judge force people to counseling if they wanted to end their marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">