• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

desperate for help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kdowd771

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am desperate for some help here.
I filed for divorce back in Jan of 02. No hearing or anything until Jul of 02. STBX ordered to pay me $400 per month, I am ordered to pay a total of $1697 per month between 2 houses and 1 car.

Trial date set for Sep 02. Couple of days prior she puts down a jury trial fee. court date is cancelled. I have done everything I can think of to get this case over and done with. She has cancelled or rescheduled all the mediations we have had set up. Finally had one and it was a total failure:mad:

We HAD a jury trail set up for the 3rd week in May but her lawyer requested an extention and got it.

I am in the military and all she is doing is milking me for anything and everything. She lives in a house for free gets rent income from another house for free and drives the car for free. SO she has no incentive to end the divorce because her free ride will end.
So she will only agree to end it if I give her $20,000 which I do not have and am unable to get. Until then she is trying to drag this out as long as possible. To let you know we have been married for 8 yrs this july (2 seperated) no kids, little assests, and a huge amount of debt.

Since the failure of the last mediation, I filed for Bankruptcy on the advice of my lawyer. Gave up both houses and got rid of , I hope, all the CC debt. The "STAY" is to be lifted so the divorce can proceed. She has also failed the last 3 months to pay me the $400 she was ordered to. My lawyer says why spend the money to file contempt of court since I have no bills now with the bankruptcy I have filed.

No progress has been made at all. No court date is set, no witnessess scheaduled, no depositions have been taken or set. Nothing is getting done. My lawyer calls her lawyer and no one returns anyones calls.

I see no end in sight to getting this case done. A case that every laywer I have talked to says would take less than 1 1/2 hours in court because we have nothing to argue about.

I need advice on what to do. Should I get rid of my lawyer that is not doing anything? In this town EVERYONE has said he is the best and if he can't do it , it can't be done. yet no progress is made.

What can a person do to get a jury trail denied? Can it be denied? I do not know if fireing my lawyer is wise. He knows all about the case, but the time to bring another lawyer up to speed plus the cost , I just do not know if its worth it or not.

ANy advice out there??????

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">