• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Desperate to help my father with an unfair case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheri2321

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I am desperate to understand what else can be done to help my dad. He is 62 years old and was remarried to someone for 6 years and live in Illinois. They had no kids together, very little assets to split up and is losing all of his money on a case that should not be complicated. His soon to be ex-wife seems to have two very good attorneys working for her. She is unemployed supposedly due to a workman comp issue, but is perfectly capable of finding an office admin type of job. My father, unfortunately, has an attorney that doesnt seem to be offering any protection to his best interests. I believe he could've represented himself (not being trained and is a plumbing inspector) and gotten the same judgement in this case as the liscenced attorney got for him. My dad has paid his attorney $40k already in fees for the case that is now going on for 2 1/2 years. My dad doesnt have much to begin with. There was a final agreement on this case a few weeks ago, which was not favorable at all for my father. It's very sad to see so much taken away from him and his ex seems to be the one that had benefitted greatly in this. It's unfair and I am so disappointed in our legal system. I dont feel like his attorney has done anything to deserve the fees he has received. Now, his ex is reopening it because she believes it's not enough. HE HAS NOTHING. How can I help my father so no more is taken from him? I am desperate to help him. The problem is that now he will have to pay more fees to his attorney and he has nothing left to live on. PLEASE HELP.

mistoffolees

Then get him a good attorney. $40 K in fees for a 6 year marriage with no kids and few assets is absurd. Have the new attorney ask the court to be reimbursed legal fees for frivolous legal action.

I'd also ask the original attorney for a detailed accounting of the fees. They might very well be legitimate (it's easy for a litigious person to drive up the fees for both parties beyond belief), but it's worth checking.

Unfortunately, the legal system gives access to anyone no matter how silly their demands are. If his ex wants to keep suing, she can do it. Of course, she may not win anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">