• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In desperate need of financial help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paijeinneed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I recently seperated from a long time boyfriend/fiance who left me in great debt!
We had a car together, credit cards, an apartment, and so on... When we broke up he took his name off the credit cards and i got the car. I am finding it very difficult to pay everything on my own and he refuses to help! He took the money we got back from our apartment and will not give me anything.

Is there something I can do to make him pay for the credit cards or at least pay me some money every month to help pay them off?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I recently seperated from a long time boyfriend/fiance who left me in great debt!
We had a car together, credit cards, an apartment, and so on... When we broke up he took his name off the credit cards and i got the car. I am finding it very difficult to pay everything on my own and he refuses to help! He took the money we got back from our apartment and will not give me anything.

Is there something I can do to make him pay for the credit cards or at least pay me some money every month to help pay them off?
Sue him in civil court, prove he owes you money, get a judgement. Not so easy.

mistoffolees

Sue him in civil court, prove he owes you money, get a judgement. Not so easy.
The whole thing sounds suspicious. How does one take your name off a credit card and leave the entire debt on the other person? I can't imagine that the bank would see it that way.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The whole thing sounds suspicious. How does one take your name off a credit card and leave the entire debt on the other person? I can't imagine that the bank would see it that way.
He was nothing more than an authorized user and NOT a cosigner on the account would be my guess.

LdiJ

And learn to NOT 'play house' with another without the legal protections of marriage!!
And if you do play house, keep your finances separate. Don't allow your boyfriend/girlfriend access to your credit cards or cosign for anything or allow them to cosign for you. If you cannot get it on your own, don't get it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">