• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Desperatly need Guidence???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ediee

What is the name of your state?:confused: What is the name of your state? NewYork

Hello Everyone!
i was married to my cousine for more then 4years back. last year i came to usa in december 2003 but after 2 months we developed some differences with eachother and got seperated . after wards so i signed the uncontested annulment papers and i had no furthur contact with her family . but the question is now i read that for annulment you have to see a judge which i did not and it 's a long and tidious process.my concern is if our marrige was annuled why dont i have any paper work for it . and what is my status in the usa right now even though i have my green card and everything looks fine. any help in this matter is greatly appreciated

ediee said:
What is the name of your state?:confused: What is the name of your state? NewYork

Hello Everyone!
i was married to my cousine for more then 4years back. last year i came to usa in december 2003 but after 2 months we developed some differences with eachother and got seperated . after wards so i signed the uncontested annulment papers and i had no furthur contact with her family . but the question is now i read that for annulment you have to see a judge which i did not and it 's a long and tidious process.my concern is if our marrige was annuled why dont i have any paper work for it . and what is my status in the usa right now even though i have my green card and everything looks fine. any help in this matter is greatly appreciated
You were married to your cousin?

LdiJ

howamidoing said:
You were married to your cousin?
Ok...lets not freak here LOL. It might have been a distance cousin...or since the person's english is a little shakey it might be something totally different.

To the original poster:

If you already have your green card then a divorce or annulment would not effect your status in the US. However, you cannot be sure that you are no longer married until you obtain copies of the paperwork showing that the annulment was finalized. An attorney could best help you figure this out.

LdiJ said:
Ok...lets not freak here LOL. It might have been a distance cousin...or since the person's english is a little shakey it might be something totally different.

To the original poster:

If you already have your green card then a divorce or annulment would not effect your status in the US. However, you cannot be sure that you are no longer married until you obtain copies of the paperwork showing that the annulment was finalized. An attorney could best help you figure this out.
Sorry first reaction, Poster please clarify

ediee

Hello again .
wel by cousin i mean she is my Mom's sister daughter . i dont know why every one gets surprised here that i was married to my cousin . i mean is it real bad to marry your cousin??.

Hisbabygirl77

Ok now you can start freaking it really is his cousin. lol Ok so in some countries it is not a big deal though so keep that in mind. But to answer your question yes in the USA it is kind of a big deal and pretty frowned on. Not to mention most states wont marry 1st cousins here.

Hisbabygirl77

Moving on to your problem you were already given advice. Talk go a lawyer or if you know where these papers were supposedly filed you can go to the court and ask for a copy for a small fee.

ediee said:
Hello again .
wel by cousin i mean she is my Mom's sister daughter . i dont know why every one gets surprised here that i was married to my cousin . i mean is it real bad to marry your cousin??.
Yeah that would be your cousin. That's so wierd...i wont judge.... :eek:

LdiJ

howamidoing said:
Yeah that would be your cousin. That's so wierd...i wont judge.... :eek:
Yeah for most americans it really is EEK...lol (me too) however in many European countries its considered acceptable to marry first cousins. In the US its legal to marry 3rd cousins in all states, and it may even still be legal to marry first cousins in one or two. I know it was 20 years ago, but I don't know how much the laws have changed since then.

LdiJ said:
Yeah for most americans it really is EEK...lol (me too) however in many European countries its considered acceptable to marry first cousins. In the US its legal to marry 3rd cousins in all states, and it may even still be legal to marry first cousins in one or two. I know it was 20 years ago, but I don't know how much the laws have changed since then.
Thanks for the info..Interesting..I had no idea...

ediee

Maritial status after Annulment??

Hi Everyone.
My question is what happens to the martial status after an annulment . is it Single,Divorced or Never married

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">