• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dfault, I think

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missingmybaby10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I filed for divorce but then I changed my mind and did not continue the process. I never received papers stating the divorce was completed I think it went ito default. are we still married?? We did go to court for the mediation for our kids and I thought the judge said that we were still married.. He asked if we still wanted to be married and I said yes. We had been separated for a while and the kids were living with me. We do not live together now I moved out of state and like I said I never received a divorce decree or any papers stating that the marriage was over.I just want to know what arestatus is and how can I get the divorce now that I live in a differentstate?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I filed for divorce but then I changed my mind and did not continue the process. I never received papers stating the divorce was completed I think it went ito default. are we still married?? We did go to court for the mediation for our kids and I thought the judge said that we were still married.. He asked if we still wanted to be married and I said yes. We had been separated for a while and the kids were living with me. We do not live together now I moved out of state and like I said I never received a divorce decree or any papers stating that the marriage was over.I just want to know what arestatus is and how can I get the divorce now that I live in a differentstate?
Call your county clerk with the original filing number to get the status. They can tell you if it was finalized or terminated for non-action.

If you're still married, you can get a divorce even if your spouse lives in a different state. It may be complicated though - California can grant you a divorce (once you meet the residency requirements) and can rule on custody of the children if that's where they are living. California can NOT rule on property division for property not located in CA unless your spouse also lives there or lived there at one point.

missingmybaby10

dfault I think continue

we had joint custody of the children during the first part of the divorce then some domestic violence happened and I got a restraining order and full custody. Now I live in another state so am i suppose to file there again or file in the state I live in. Can the custody situation change if we go back to court? he has not had contact in a year and has not helped financially either.

LdiJ

we had joint custody of the children during the first part of the divorce then some domestic violence happened and I got a restraining order and full custody. Now I live in another state so am i suppose to file there again or file in the state I live in. Can the custody situation change if we go back to court? he has not had contact in a year and has not helped financially either.
You really need to consult a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">