• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Diamond Wedding ring a marital asset?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ms. Dinah

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

My husband wants the diamond wedding ring he gave me (as an engagement ring) to be included in my martial assets when determining each spouses' asset worth. I don't agree and think it should not be considered at all, as it was a gift prior to marriage. I

s there any case law in NH determining if an engagement/wedding ring is an asset to be considered when dividing personal/marital property? If so, could you please site the case law in your answer?

Thank you,
Ms. Dinah

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My husband wants the diamond wedding ring he gave me (as an engagement ring) to be included in my martial assets when determining each spouses' asset worth. I don't agree and think it should not be considered at all, as it was a gift prior to marriage. I

s there any case law in NH determining if an engagement/wedding ring is an asset to be considered when dividing personal/marital property? If so, could you please site the case law in your answer?

Thank you,
Ms. Dinah
A diamond wedding ring was a gift to you at the time of marriage. hence it is YOUR separate property. The engagement ring is also separate party as it is a gift -- a conditional gift -- but you fulfilled the condition by marrying him.

HomeGuru

Thank you,
Ms. Dinah
**A: what is the value of the rings?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">