• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did ex-wife re-marry?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mroe

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My wife and I divorced Sept 27 2001. Our children are married and on their own. I have faithfully paid her what was set in the decree, $200.00 per month for 7 years. According to the decree, if she would ever marry, I would not have to pay her any more. After the first 2 years of the divorce, I married someone else. Then my ex-wife met someone and moved to Utah. I've tried to find out through my kids if she is married. She told my daughter that when they move to Utah they may stop in Las Vegas and tie the knot. I have no way of finding out, other than hiring a detective, to see if she's really married. I have directly asked her and she denies it. If I find out she is married I think I can sue her for maybe "breech of contract." Because she should owe me money. Because the day she got married, she should have told me, so I would stop paying her. I only have about 16 more months to go. But it just pisses me off, because the one thing I do know, that the guy she's with has a load of money. Any advice?

moburkes

How much money he has is none of your business. If you only wanted to pay for a specific time period, that should have been included. In my county, I can look up marriage licenses, but I cannot see a specific marriage date. Did you check to see if there has been a marriage license filed?

mroe

Yes I know what monies he has is none of my business. It just pisses me off that she's rolling in the dough, and still taking my money. In the divorce, we had three homes. We sold the two rentals and split the monies. I gave her the house she was living in, plus I gave her half of my retirement. and have been paying her $200.00 per month for almost seven years. So it's not like she went away poor. I bought the program Net Detective. It allows you to look up marriges by state, so far no luck. So I guess I'm stuck paying her till the seven years are up. I just don't think it's fair. She don't need my money. If she indeed is not married, and after the seven years are up, she probably will get married. If that happens, the hell with it, I'll call her and give her a piece of my mind. Just can't understand it. It was a "friendly diveroce." We've always talked to each other even after the divorce. Just don't get it.

Bali Hai

Yes I know what monies he has is none of my business. It just pisses me off that she's rolling in the dough, and still taking my money. In the divorce, we had three homes. We sold the two rentals and split the monies. I gave her the house she was living in, plus I gave her half of my retirement. and have been paying her $200.00 per month for almost seven years. So it's not like she went away poor. I bought the program Net Detective. It allows you to look up marriges by state, so far no luck. So I guess I'm stuck paying her till the seven years are up. I just don't think it's fair. She don't need my money. If she indeed is not married, and after the seven years are up, she probably will get married. If that happens, the hell with it, I'll call her and give her a piece of my mind. Just can't understand it. It was a "friendly diveroce." We've always talked to each other even after the divorce. Just don't get it.
WHY did YOU agree to pay her the alimony in the first place??

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My wife and I divorced Sept 27 2001. Our children are married and on their own. I have faithfully paid her what was set in the decree, $200.00 per month for 7 years. According to the decree, if she would ever marry, I would not have to pay her any more. After the first 2 years of the divorce, I married someone else. Then my ex-wife met someone and moved to Utah. I've tried to find out through my kids if she is married. She told my daughter that when they move to Utah they may stop in Las Vegas and tie the knot. I have no way of finding out, other than hiring a detective, to see if she's really married. I have directly asked her and she denies it. If I find out she is married I think I can sue her for maybe "breech of contract." Because she should owe me money. Because the day she got married, she should have told me, so I would stop paying her. I only have about 16 more months to go. But it just pisses me off, because the one thing I do know, that the guy she's with has a load of money. Any advice?
Marriages are usually public records. Start by doing on line searches in the areas you think she was married in. Some sites charge a fee, while others are free. If that doesn't work, you'd probably have to hire a PI to find out. If you do find that she married, get a consult with an attorney before you take it back to court to see if you would be entitled to reimbursement or not.

Bali Hai

Marriages are usually public records. Start by doing on line searches in the areas you think she was married in. Some sites charge a fee, while others are free. If that doesn't work, you'd probably have to hire a PI to find out. If you do find that she married, get a consult with an attorney before you take it back to court to see if you would be entitled to reimbursement or not.
Matrimonial laws are set up to impose responsibility on men and let women off the hook. The ex-wife should have a duty and be charged with fraud if she remarrys and does not report her remarriage to the court AND alimony paying husband.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">