• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled-Husband wants divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silvermarigold

What is the name of your state? Virginia
My husband of seven years has asked for a divorce on the day I got my negative pregnancy test back. We had been trying to conceive only one month. He cheated on me when stationed overseas which resulted in a terminated pregnancy (so he says). I have a disability and he is pressuring me to get a job. I haven't worked for 8 years and don't feel I can. I have a job interview this morning only because I felt I couldn't say no. I only applied for one job online and ...
I have grounds for divorce: mental cruelty, alienation of affection, infidelity and probably more. I know I must leave him but my illness is clouding things.

My question:
Can having a job interview or even an unsuccessful attempt to work prevent me from receiving alimony? He supported me (for our two years apart) while he was overseas with a housing allowance paid to him by the Army. I also feel he abandoned me when he went overseas. They determined that I wouldn't have proper services over there so said I couldn't go, then they told him he wasn't going. He then said he wanted to go anyway. I don't sit around doing nothing. I'm taking college classes. He says this job I may get with allow him to respect me more. My intuition tells me he will use it against me.

LdiJ

Silvermarigold said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia
My husband of seven years has asked for a divorce on the day I got my negative pregnancy test back. We had been trying to conceive only one month. He cheated on me when stationed overseas which resulted in a terminated pregnancy (so he says). I have a disability and he is pressuring me to get a job. I haven't worked for 8 years and don't feel I can. I have a job interview this morning only because I felt I couldn't say no. I only applied for one job online and ...
I have grounds for divorce: mental cruelty, alienation of affection, infidelity and probably more. I know I must leave him but my illness is clouding things.

My question:
Can having a job interview or even an unsuccessful attempt to work prevent me from receiving alimony? He supported me (for our two years apart) while he was overseas with a housing allowance paid to him by the Army. I also feel he abandoned me when he went overseas. They determined that I wouldn't have proper services over there so said I couldn't go, then they told him he wasn't going. He then said he wanted to go anyway. I don't sit around doing nothing. I'm taking college classes. He says this job I may get with allow him to respect me more. My intuition tells me he will use it against me.
You truly need to consult with a local attorney. (not jag) to see where you would stand regarding alimony. I suspect that he wants to prove that you are capable of working to support yourself so that he won't have to pay you alimony. However, please do realize that your marriage hasn't been long enough to entitle you to permanent alimony, so any you recieve would be likely to be only temporary. However, if you truly can't work, you may be eligible for Social Security Disability.

BelizeBreeze

LdiJ said:
You truly need to consult with a local attorney. (not jag) to see where you would stand regarding alimony. I suspect that he wants to prove that you are capable of working to support yourself so that he won't have to pay you alimony. However, please do realize that your marriage hasn't been long enough to entitle you to permanent alimony, so any you recieve would be likely to be only temporary. However, if you truly can't work, you may be eligible for Social Security Disability.
Now that's quite a stretch even for you LdiJ. Happen to know what the SPECIFIC disability is that this poster has?

rmet4nzkx

I'm sorry but we cannot determine how a judge will rule on alimony nor if you are qualified for SSDI.
What is the exact nature of your disability?
Did your husband know this prior to your marriage?
Have you worked?
If so, how long and when did you last work?
What type of work can you do?
ADA accommodations?
Have you applied for SSDI?
Who decided you couldn't travel overseas and to which country was your husband deployed?
Is there a history of domestic violence?
Is your husband currently in the military?
Do you have any children?
How would a pregnancy affect your health?
Have you consulted an attorney, if not please do ASAP.

Silvermarigold

Disabled - husband wants divorce

VA
I am qualified and do receive SSD and retired w/disability from federal gvt. in 1997.
Nature of my disability is a mental illness. Major depression/anxiety disorder.
This was known to my husband who I've been with for 11 years - married 7 yrs.
I worked for six years.
Possibly secretarial.
The Army's Exceptional Family Member Program determined my ineligibility to travel to Germany w/him.
No domestic violence.
Currently active duty.
No children.
A pregnancy would prevent me from taking all my meds.
Thanks so much for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">