• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discovery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gwennellen

MD

My STBX and I have bee separated 2+ yrs

on the advice of my attorney i filed in court due to my husbands lack of response for financial documents for more than 6 months. He has again missed the discovery deadline and my attorney agreed to postpone exchange again for two weeks. Why would he do this?
This gives my husband the opportunity to drag his feet again. Is this common practice among attorneys? My attorney did not consult with me before giving the green light.

mistoffolees

MD

My STBX and I have bee separated 2+ yrs

on the advice of my attorney i filed in court due to my husbands lack of response for financial documents for more than 6 months. He has again missed the discovery deadline and my attorney agreed to postpone exchange again for two weeks. Why would he do this?
This gives my husband the opportunity to drag his feet again. Is this common practice among attorneys? My attorney did not consult with me before giving the green light.
Whether it is common practice or not, you need to have a chat with your attorney. Your attorney is supposed to be acting in your behalf. While there are certainly cases where an attorney would have to do something on their own (such as asking for a continuance if they have to leave town for a good reason), there is almost no situation where they should do that without informing you.

If, OTOH, the attorney accepted the change because of good reason, and then informed you about it promptly, it's not that big a deal - unless it happens all the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">