• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disown adult child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peachy1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

Can I legally disown an adult child? I am not talking about disinheriting, I know that can be handled through a will. I am talking about severing all legal ties while I am living. I am trying to protect myself from my child having control over me should I become ill, or having any next of kin rights whatsoever.

If California has such a law, exactly what can they be prevented from doing. My goal here is that they would have the same rights as a non relative or a complete stranger. NONE

mistoffolees

You just don't have anything to do with them and sign a living will which gives rights to important decisions to someone else.

LdiJ

You just don't have anything to do with them and sign a living will which gives rights to important decisions to someone else.
You could also give that same someone else a POA that only kicks in if you are incapacitated. You could even back that up with a secondary POA to another trusted party that only kicks in if both you AND the first trusted party are incapacitated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">