• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disown a parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tika3itch

I just have a simple question. How can an adult child go about disowning a parent? The reason I ask is because as I've just married and plan to start my own family and I feel a need to protect my future children. The simple fact is he tried to kill me (his own daughter) at the age of 14 and I do not want him to be able to invoke any rights (be it grandparent rights, etc) to allow him visitation with my children. He has already tried to seek custody of my neice and nephew.

Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tika3itch said:
I just have a simple question. How can an adult child go about disowning a parent? The reason I ask is because as I've just married and plan to start my own family and I feel a need to protect my future children. The simple fact is he tried to kill me (his own daughter) at the age of 14 and I do not want him to be able to invoke any rights (be it grandparent rights, etc) to allow him visitation with my children. He has already tried to seek custody of my neice and nephew.

Thank you.
My response:

You don't have to do anything - - the U.S. Supreme Court did it for you in the case of "Troxel vs. Granville", in June of 2000. The court, in essence, stated that parents do not have to let their children have any visitation with Grandparents or any other third party. In other words, the parents now have the last word and the legal right to say "NO".

A parent’s right to limit grandparental visitation. [Troxel v. Granville (U.S. 2000) 120 S.Ct. 2054, 147 L.Ed.2d 49 (court defined liberty interest as "the interest of parents in the care, custody, and control of their children" and observed that this interest is "perhaps the oldest of the fundamental liberty interests recognized by this Court")]

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">