• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disposal of property awarded in divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

upstatedad17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My wife's ex husband has a boat and a outside shed full of tools he was awarded in the divorce in August of 08. After numerous requests to remove his property he still has not done so. He has stated the he would pick it up then has not shown up. We own the property and are tired of storing his belongings. If we send him a certified letter, how long do we have to wait before disposing of his property.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My wife's ex husband has a boat and a outside shed full of tools he was awarded in the divorce in August of 08. After numerous requests to remove his property he still has not done so. He has stated the he would pick it up then has not shown up. We own the property and are tired of storing his belongings. If we send him a certified letter, how long do we have to wait before disposing of his property.
YOU get to do absolutely squat in this. This is NOT YOUR business. Have your wife send her ex a certified letter, return receipt requested stating that he has thirty days to arrange a pickup date. If he does not do so, she will go back to court asking for an order allowing her to dispose of the belongings.

upstatedad17

Thank you for your advice. I do dispute the statement that it has nothing to do with me as my name is on the mortgage and deed to this property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">