• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolusion of marriage in ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nick780

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

Me and my wife have been married 6 years and have 1, 2.5 year old son. we are doing a dissolusion of marriage because we agree on everything. we are wanting shared parenting ,we will have the child equal amounts of time, I(the father) is keeping the single family home we live in so my son has a good familiar enviroment. plus wife cannot afford it and her credit is shot ,so she would never be able to get a loan in her name. we both are very good parents and take good care in everyway of our child. we both are refusing child support from eachother , even know i guess i would be paying because i make more money than her. my question is will the courts make me pay child support if:
we both are great parents
we both decline it
we both have him equal amounts of time
iam keeping health ins on child
iam keeping the home so the child is in there familiar enviroment

remember this is a dissolusion of marriage where everything is agreed upon.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

Me and my wife have been married 6 years and have 1, 2.5 year old son. we are doing a dissolusion of marriage because we agree on everything. we are wanting shared parenting ,we will have the child equal amounts of time, I(the father) is keeping the single family home we live in so my son has a good familiar enviroment. plus wife cannot afford it and her credit is shot ,so she would never be able to get a loan in her name. we both are very good parents and take good care in everyway of our child. we both are refusing child support from eachother , even know i guess i would be paying because i make more money than her. my question is will the courts make me pay child support if:
we both are great parents
we both decline it
we both have him equal amounts of time
iam keeping health ins on child
iam keeping the home so the child is in there familiar enviroment

remember this is a dissolusion of marriage where everything is agreed upon.
Before you spend too much time worrying about it, why not run the numbers through the Ohio child support calculator?
Ohio Child Support Calculator - AllLaw.com

You have equal time and you are keeping the health insurance expense, so unless your income is a lot higher, the amount may not be great? Are you each paying child care while the child is in your home or is one of you paying all of it?

I have a pretty good idea of the answer to your question, but I'm not 100% sure, so I'll wait for Ohiogal to give you the definitive answer.

Nick780

There is no child care expensives, i work a day time job i have been at for 10 years , and she works a evening and night shift job at a resturant. we are eachothers childcare .

mistoffolees

There is no child care expensives, i work a day time job i have been at for 10 years , and she works a evening and night shift job at a resturant. we are eachothers childcare .
OK, then run the calculator with your actual costs for health insurance and see what the difference would be if you DID have to pay support.

Nick780

well i just recieved all of our dissolusion papers in the mail yesterday. we payed a company to get all the paper work we need typed up and sent to us , all we have to do now is sign everything(which is a whole lot)and then file with the local courts here, then wait for our hearing. but in the paper work it said like $722.00 a month and i gross about 3,300 a month , me and my spouse for now , thought that was just a huge amount. she said in court she will tell the judge not to make me pay child support because i will take care of him and really her if she needs it too. she said she will tell the judge she will just give it right back to me , so no need to enforce it. im just afraid that if i have to pay that much , my son will lose the only stable and familiar home he has ,because i wont be able to afford it anymore.

mistoffolees

well i just recieved all of our dissolusion papers in the mail yesterday. we payed a company to get all the paper work we need typed up and sent to us , all we have to do now is sign everything(which is a whole lot)and then file with the local courts here, then wait for our hearing. but in the paper work it said like $722.00 a month and i gross about 3,300 a month , me and my spouse for now , thought that was just a huge amount. she said in court she will tell the judge not to make me pay child support because i will take care of him and really her if she needs it too. she said she will tell the judge she will just give it right back to me , so no need to enforce it. im just afraid that if i have to pay that much , my son will lose the only stable and familiar home he has ,because i wont be able to afford it anymore.
I've already suggested twice that you do the calculation based on your state guidelines. Until you do that, there's no point in further discussion.

Do NOT rely on an agreement with your stbx to refund money to you. If the court puts in an order for $722 per month, that's what you're going to have to pay. She can say she won't collect it, but as soon as the ink is dry on the decree, she can go to court to have it collected. If you're not in agreement with the amount, object to it NOW - before the divorce is final.

But start by figuring out what the law says you would owe.

Nick780

ok i went to the site and did the calculation, its said about $409.00 a month , alot better than $722 but it didnt have a shared parenting option, im wondering why the place that prepared all my paper work came up with such a big number when it was supposed to be prepared for our state guidlines? so that brings me back to the first post, with all the agreeing we are doing and everything we are trying to make 50/50 would i even have to pay support?

and thanks for all your help!

mistoffolees

ok i went to the site and did the calculation, its said about $409.00 a month , alot better than $722 but it didnt have a shared parenting option, im wondering why the place that prepared all my paper work came up with such a big number when it was supposed to be prepared for our state guidlines? so that brings me back to the first post, with all the agreeing we are doing and everything we are trying to make 50/50 would i even have to pay support?

and thanks for all your help!
OK. Now you know that $409 is the MAX the court would order - even if you contest it.

You are right that the calculator is designed for situations where there is one primary custodian, so your figure should be even less.

In most states, you could still have to pay support even if it's 50:50 if the incomes are different (although typically much less than the above amount), but 'most states' is irrelevant to you. Just be patient and Ohiogal will give you a better idea of how it works in Ohio.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Misty good try.

Don't turn in those dissolution papers OP. if you do and you have signed them you have agreed to the $722 amount. You can agree to paying no child support at this time.
If she ends up receiving state aid, Ohio will come after you and FORCE you to pay child support. The worksheet itself has a shared parenting calculation that allows you to input 50/50 time. You may still pay minimally something. But even that minimal amount would prevent the state from forcing you to pay anything. Do not turn in/file any paperwork that you do NOT agree with 100%.

Nick780

thanks for your reply ohigal,

we havent even began to sign anyof the papers yet, but we both agree to no child support. we both think the amount of $722 a month is just outrageous.

DivorceWriter.com | Uncontested Divorce Online is the place we payed to prepare our dissolusion papers, thats the amount they came up with, and thats the amount on the paper work. we both declined it and the paper work states that, paper work says we agree i will pay $0 a month for child support, and the reason being is, both parents decline child support ,because if the child is to remain to have the same life style no monies need to be payed between us, plus we both agreed father will keep the house so the child has a familiar enviroment. the thing im scared of is, even though we declined it and agreed to pay $0 , the $722 a month is still on the paper work. would the court do there own calculations ,or go by whats on the paper work, (even though we both think its a wrong calculation)? if so should i try to get that number off the paper work before we sign them and file them?

thanks for all your help~!

LdiJ

thanks for your reply ohigal,

we havent even began to sign anyof the papers yet, but we both agree to no child support. we both think the amount of $722 a month is just outrageous.

DivorceWriter.com | Uncontested Divorce Online is the place we payed to prepare our dissolusion papers, thats the amount they came up with, and thats the amount on the paper work. we both declined it and the paper work states that, paper work says we agree i will pay $0 a month for child support, and the reason being is, both parents decline child support ,because if the child is to remain to have the same life style no monies need to be payed between us, plus we both agreed father will keep the house so the child has a familiar enviroment. the thing im scared of is, even though we declined it and agreed to pay $0 , the $722 a month is still on the paper work. would the court do there own calculations ,or go by whats on the paper work, (even though we both think its a wrong calculation)? if so should i try to get that number off the paper work before we sign them and file them?

thanks for all your help~!
Yes, you should probably get that number off the paperwork. Look over the CS worksheet carefully to see if you can figure out where they went wrong in their calculation, and then get them to correct it.

Nick780

thanks to everyone for there input , iam looking over the child support worksheet ,but need more time , not understanding everything ,but here is what the site i payed to do my paperwork figured:

Father mother
Monthly Gross Income $3,360.00 $2,000.00
Monthly Basic Obligation $441.63 $262.87
Additional Childcare Obligation $692.03 $411.93
Childcare Credits $411.93 $0.00
Monthly Payment $722.00 $675.00

i dont know where this additional childcare obligation, and childcare credits are comming from , we do not pay any childcare. any help would be greatly appreciated.obviously left numbers are fathers and on the right mothers

Last edited:

LdiJ

thanks to everyone for there input , iam looking over the child support worksheet ,but need more time , not understanding everything ,but here is what the site i payed to do my paperwork figured:

Father mother
Monthly Gross Income $3,360.00 $2,000.00
Monthly Basic Obligation $441.63 $262.87
Additional Childcare Obligation $692.03 $411.93
Childcare Credits $411.93 $0.00
Monthly Payment $722.00 $675.00

i dont know where this additional childcare obligation, and childcare credits are comming from , we do not pay any childcare. any help would be greatly appreciated.obviously left numbers are fathers and on the right mothers
Clearly the issue is that they are including childcare (daycare) and you don't have any. Therefore they need to take that out. Once they take that out, their figures will be very similar to what you got with the online calculator.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">