• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolution Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

01impala88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

The Supreme Court of Iowa ruled that in a dissolution case, me and my wife retirement accounts should be equally split. If my wife files for divorce in Iowa, and cites a case from another state in support of her request to keep her own retirement account. How will the Iowa district court likely rule and why?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

The Supreme Court of Iowa ruled that in a dissolution case, me and my wife retirement accounts should be equally split. If my wife files for divorce in Iowa, and cites a case from another state in support of her request to keep her own retirement account. How will the Iowa district court likely rule and why?
Another state can not overrule Iowa's Supreme Court. State laws vary and the IA Supreme Court is the final decider on what applies in IA.

If there were federal laws involved, Federal court could overrule IA, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">