• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolution of Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skellingt0n

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My husband and I have been separated but living in the same household for over a year. We share our house because of it being the best option money wise as well as the best option for our child. We both have significant others and we do not have any issues personally or with our parenting hence why we wish to be granted a dissolution. We have already completed all of our paperwork and want to file, however I have been told that we cannot live in the same household when filing for a dissolution. Yet, my boss has 2 friends of theirs that have lived together for many years and were granted a dissolution. The case management office will not inform me of any ruling of rather we can or cannot live together. Can someone please tell me if I can file this paper work and get our dissolution done with? we just want to move on with our lives. We do not plan on living together forever, it is just what works for our family system as of right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My husband and I have been separated but living in the same household for over a year. We share our house because of it being the best option money wise as well as the best option for our child. We both have significant others and we do not have any issues personally or with our parenting hence why we wish to be granted a dissolution. We have already completed all of our paperwork and want to file, however I have been told that we cannot live in the same household when filing for a dissolution. Yet, my boss has 2 friends of theirs that have lived together for many years and were granted a dissolution. The case management office will not inform me of any ruling of rather we can or cannot live together. Can someone please tell me if I can file this paper work and get our dissolution done with? we just want to move on with our lives. We do not plan on living together forever, it is just what works for our family system as of right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You cannot share the same household and be granted a dissolution. You cannot have the same address and be granted a dissolution. If you do not understand what I am saying, you need an attorney.

Skellingt0n

You cannot share the same household and be granted a dissolution. You cannot have the same address and be granted a dissolution. If you do not understand what I am saying, you need an attorney.

Of course I understand, that was kinda of rude though, for just asking a question.
I understand the reasoning behind it. I just don't understand how "Others" have had the ability to file.. that is all... I thought this was an advice forum for people who needed answers to questions they had. Sorry

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Of course I understand, that was kinda of rude though, for just asking a question.
I understand the reasoning behind it. I just don't understand how "Others" have had the ability to file.. that is all... I thought this was an advice forum for people who needed answers to questions they had. Sorry
Then, no, you do not understand. You can live in the same house and not have the same household. You can live in the same house and not have the same address. Again, you need an attorney. That is how "Others" have had the ability to file. They understood the definition of the words "household", "address" and "house".

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

I'd suggest making an appointment for a legal consultation. Kudos for working together for the child's benefit.

Skellingt0n

Then, no, you do not understand. You can live in the same house and not have the same household. You can live in the same house and not have the same address. Again, you need an attorney. That is how "Others" have had the ability to file. They understood the definition of the words "household", "address" and "house".
Okay, so I need an attorney, I understand that... however, can you shed some dim light on the same house and not the same address part. I completely understand living in the same house and not having the same household because everything we do is separated all the way down to meals being cooked. We still have certain weekends that are used as visitation weekends with our child. Therefore, I get that completely.

Silverplum

Okay, so I need an attorney, I understand that... however, can you shed some dim light on the same house and not the same address part. I completely understand living in the same house and not having the same household because everything we do is separated all the way down to meals being cooked. We still have certain weekends that are used as visitation weekends with our child. Therefore, I get that completely.
Ohiogal is an attorney in Ohio.

The laws of your state require separate addresses. The "why" of that must be addressed by those who wrote the laws.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Just because you share a house doesn't mean you both got mail there. Post office boxes are possible. So is having your mail delivered to your parents' house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">