• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolution no child support till later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

formyson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
The fourth time to try this still showing blank..

My wife and I agree on everything in the dissolution except my 2 year old. She wants residential parent I want us both to be residential parent. Im afraid if I let her be residential parent she will later after all is said and done. come back for child support since she is residential parent.. I think I'm being played...... Would she be able to do that right away or am I over thinking this ?

Last edited:

Silverplum

My wife and I agree on everything in the dissolution except my 2 year old. She wants residential parent I want us both to be residential parent. Im afraid if I let her be residential parent she will later after all is said and done. come back for child support since she is residential parent.. I think I'm being played...... Would she be able to do that right away or am I over thinking this ?
Child support IS "for(your)son."

:confused: What's the problem?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Child support is fluid. It changes. Even with both of you being residential parent, you could be ordered to pay child support. Child support can be modified ANYTIME there is a substantial change in circumstance or after three years.

LdiJ

I think that you are making an incorrect assumption that there would be no child support if you were both residential parents.

You both being residential parents does not make child support go away. First, it doesn't automatically mean a 50/50 timeshare, and even if there is a 50/50 timeshare the parent with the higher income still ends up paying child support to the parent with the lower income. There are also so other things that factor into the mix, like health insurance and daycare costs.

So...if you are only fighting for the designation "residential parent" because you think that makes child support go away, then you are operating under a false assumption.

On top of that, child support is fluid and modifiable, which means even if you both agree to no child support now, that absolutely does not mean that child support won't be ordered later.

formyson

I think that you are making an incorrect assumption that there would be no child support if you were both residential parents.

You both being residential parents does not make child support go away. First, it doesn't automatically mean a 50/50 timeshare, and even if there is a 50/50 timeshare the parent with the higher income still ends up paying child support to the parent with the lower income. There are also so other things that factor into the mix, like health insurance and daycare costs.

So...if you are only fighting for the designation "residential parent" because you think that makes child support go away, then you are operating under a false assumption.

On top of that, child support is fluid and modifiable, which means even if you both agree to no child support now, that absolutely does not mean that child support won't be ordered later.
I have no problem carrying insurance I just want the right thing for my son.. Does it matter if she is residential parent. If she will only sign if she is residential parent what am I losing anything. I'm the bread winner she doesn't want child support. I just want the best for my son she wants child support ok but her being residential parent have any other effects?

LdiJ

I have no problem carrying insurance I just want the right thing for my son.. Does it matter if she is residential parent. If she will only sign if she is residential parent what am I losing anything. I'm the bread winner she doesn't want child support. I just want the best for my son she wants child support ok but her being residential parent have any other effects?
There are no other particular effects.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
There are no other particular effects.
BULL!
Residential parent determines mailing and residency of the child. It impacts relocation requirements and where a child's legal address is. A child can have MORE than one legal address. It can impact state aid, schooling and other things.

sandyclaus

BULL!
Residential parent determines mailing and residency of the child. It impacts relocation requirements and where a child's legal address is. A child can have MORE than one legal address. It can impact state aid, schooling and other things.
And of course, the parent with whom the child resides with for the majority of the time ALSO usually gets to claim the child as the dependent on their taxes.

But, hey, this is about what's best for the child, right? Money SHOULD have nothing to do with it, as long as the child's best interests are being taken into consideration. Right?

LdiJ

BULL!
Whoa...lighten up. I never considered relocation or schooling because from what you have said regarding Ohio, I did not believe that one parent being the residential parent would have any significant impact on either of those.
It also doesn't sound like dad would be eligible for state aid (he said he was the breadwinner) so that really wasn't an issue in my eyes.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Whoa...lighten up. I never considered relocation or schooling because from what you have said regarding Ohio, I did not believe that one parent being the residential parent would have any significant impact on either of those.
It also doesn't sound like dad would be eligible for state aid (he said he was the breadwinner) so that really wasn't an issue in my eyes.
It can be in the future (state aid) and relocation matters because only the RESIDENTIAL parent is bound by certain things. Schooling can matter -- if the child goes to school in dad's district, the residential designation CAN change that. There are various other things. You were wrong. It can impact things based on details not provided.

formyson

Still lost

I am looking out for the best for my child. I could care less about paying child support. She wants to go back to school so be it. Can she just move I doubt it because Im writing the dissolution we will stay in the county. I claim every other year. I pay his insurance. I keep the house and shes moving with no bills. I want to help her out if its going to make his life better..

Silverplum

I am looking out for the best for my child. I could care less about paying child support. She wants to go back to school so be it. Can she just move I doubt it because Im writing the dissolution we will stay in the county. I claim every other year. I pay his insurance. I keep the house and shes moving with no bills. I want to help her out if its going to make his life better..
If you are "still lost," why are you writing your own dissolution??

:eek:

formyson

not lost just getting info had to put a title lol

My lawyer is writing up the dissolution as of right now as shared evenly both residential parents. but going to see if she blows her top when I tell her tonight

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">