• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolution vs. Nullity of Voidable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laundrybasket

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I married my daughters mother ONLY to help her with obtaining a green card. It was / is a fake marriage. We never lived together or co-mingled funds. She & her sister coersed me, & after several months I agreed. It was to be for 6 months only & then we would divorce over the internet. It has been 3 years.
I filed for a dissolution of marriage. Can I re-file for an annulment based on 2210(d) fraud? I read that if one party married for the sole purpose of a green card this would be fraud.
Please, please advise. She is telling the court we had a "real" marriage & is after money & a stake of my house that has been paid off before we even married. Her court docs are full of lies. I just want the truth out!
Thanks,
Frustrated dad.

CourtClerk

I married my daughters mother ONLY to help her with obtaining a green card.
She didn't defraud you. In fact, you were an accessory in perpetrating a fraud against the Feds...

Oh, and you can't get a divorce in CA over the internet... and you can't have the marriage annuled when there are children involved. So sorry.

mistoffolees

You can make a choice - either you can admit to fraud (and face the consequences) or you can divorce her (and face the consequences). In CA, you'll even get the honor of paying alimony, even though it's a short term marriage.

LdiJ

You can make a choice - either you can admit to fraud (and face the consequences) or you can divorce her (and face the consequences). In CA, you'll even get the honor of paying alimony, even though it's a short term marriage.
Yep...the consequences of green card fraud or the consequences of a marriage. I would choose the consequences of a marriage...particularly if I didn't want my child moving to mom's home country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">