• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are the division of assets coming into the marriage important?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scaredmama

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My husband asked me for a divorce this week. We both had about the same amount of assets coming into the marriage (I may have had a little more).

Since we've been married I've written him checks from my account for things like new cars, buying our house, etc. So, now my account is empty and his account has a large amount of money. We've always considered his account to be our joint account and he said he'd put my name on the account but he hasn't yet (and now I doubt he will ;))

What are the general guidlines for dividing assets? We've been married 3 years. Am I screwed?

Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

From ONLY the cursory facts in your post, it seems that you contributed separate property funds to the purchase of marital assets IF they were purchased during the marriage.

It doesn't matter who's name is on the deed or title of the asset if it was purchased during the marriage.

I would strongly suggest you have your attorney do a trace on the accounts and assets to determine their standing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">