• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Division of Autos

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PhilE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

So currently my STBX has taken possesion of her auto and I have mine. Hers is titled & financed in both our names, mine is titled & financed in just my name.

The Temp Orders state that we are each responsible for the Ins, maint etc for our own vehicles and she has been paying the payment for her car.

So after many months i have finally brow beat her into following the terms of the Temp Order and getting her own auto ins (Temp Orders were signed in April) and now that she has coverage i can remove her car from my auto ins.....or can I

My Ins Agent is advising that i keep the auto on my policy until i'm legally seperated from that vehicle (title & financing) to cover me should she have an accident and there is a lawsuit...

My question is would the Temp Orders be enough to legally seperate me and can I therefore drop that car from my ins or could i still be involved in a lawsuit in which case i guess i'm keeping the ins.

what have other people done when splitting vechicles etc...

My best case scenario is that i have at least 4 more months before i get off the title...2 months till sign MSA and 60 days to remove me...of course it would go WAY longer..who really knows...

Zephyr

I would follow your attorney's advice, and really- a second car on a policy is not that expensive, move forward with the divorce and get your name off that car.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

So currently my STBX has taken possesion of her auto and I have mine. Hers is titled & financed in both our names, mine is titled & financed in just my name.

The Temp Orders state that we are each responsible for the Ins, maint etc for our own vehicles and she has been paying the payment for her car.

So after many months i have finally brow beat her into following the terms of the Temp Order and getting her own auto ins (Temp Orders were signed in April) and now that she has coverage i can remove her car from my auto ins.....or can I

My Ins Agent is advising that i keep the auto on my policy until i'm legally seperated from that vehicle (title & financing) to cover me should she have an accident and there is a lawsuit...

Your insurance agent is right. If your stbx has an accident, the other party will try to sue everyone in sight - including you. Even though they would collect from her insurance first, you will still have legal expenses which your insurance policy might cover (depending on the type of accident and your coverage). Also, if the damages exceed her policy limits, they're going to come to you next.

Under the circumstances where you don't drive her car and she has her own insurance (making your policy secondary), it shouldn't be costing you that much. I'd listen to your agent.

penelope10

You have a good insurance agent from the sounds of it. He or she is giving you solid advice. Keep the car on your policy. It'll save you money and headache in the long run should the stbx have an accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">