• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Division of debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nickjames

What is the name of your state? TX

In a community property state such as Texas, how are debts during the marriage treated? For example, if the wife applied for a credit card during the marriage and has racked up 10K of debt, will the judge make both parties responsible? Or does each party's debt become their own? I understand that the judge has discretion and can shift debts and properties around, but I would just like to know what the general rule is. What about when a spouse applies for a credit card during separation?

ceara19

nickjames said:
What is the name of your state? TX

In a community property state such as Texas, how are debts during the marriage treated? For example, if the wife applied for a credit card during the marriage and has racked up 10K of debt, will the judge make both parties responsible? Or does each party's debt become their own? I understand that the judge has discretion and can shift debts and properties around, but I would just like to know what the general rule is. What about when a spouse applies for a credit card during separation?
The general rule is 50/50 on any thing incurred during the marriage. Texas does not have legal seperation. If you can PROVE the debt or asset was incurred AFTER the divorce was filed there's a good chance you will not be held resposible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">