• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

division of property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acourtneyjx

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have been Married almost 2 years. We have been seperated for over a month now. We have two children born together prior to getting married. They live with me.The home we live in I purchased prior to getting married as with a 98 mustang. We had a 1999 Rodeo he totaled- DUI in Jan of this year. I have since bought a 1997 Rodeo. Now that I have 2 vehicles he is saying he will contest the divorce b/c he is entitled to a vehicle and half of what the home is worth. Is this true? I thought division only applied to things bought after the marriage. Also our children are 4 and 2. They live with me. I'm not requesting child support due to the fact he doesn't work and has not held a job during the 6 yrs we have been together. Will this have any bearing on what he would be entitled to if anything.

acourtneyjx

alimony??

I see on some of the other posts about alimony being granted in some cases. Can he be awarded alimony if we have only been married 2 yrs in the state of Georgia. I worked hard to put myself through school, and make a decent living that would suck if he could receive alimony. Also I worked full-time night shift while attending school. It's not like he supported me while in school. I have always been the only income earner.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have been Married almost 2 years. We have been seperated for over a month now. We have two children born together prior to getting married. They live with me.The home we live in I purchased prior to getting married as with a 98 mustang. We had a 1999 Rodeo he totaled- DUI in Jan of this year. I have since bought a 1997 Rodeo. Now that I have 2 vehicles he is saying he will contest the divorce b/c he is entitled to a vehicle and half of what the home is worth. Is this true? I thought division only applied to things bought after the marriage. Also our children are 4 and 2. They live with me. I'm not requesting child support due to the fact he doesn't work and has not held a job during the 6 yrs we have been together. Will this have any bearing on what he would be entitled to if anything.
He is not entitled to 1/2 of your house. He may be entitled to 1/2 of the amount of equity that accrued in the house DURING the marriage, but definitely not any equity that accrued prior to the marriage.

However, he is probably right about the car. You have two cars and odds are that a judge would award him one.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He is not entitled to 1/2 of your house. He may be entitled to 1/2 of the amount of equity that accrued in the house DURING the marriage, but definitely not any equity that accrued prior to the marriage.

However, he is probably right about the car. You have two cars and odds are that a judge would award him one.
Unless she put him on the title at some point then he is entitled to 1/2 the house. And he will most likely get joint custody of the kids.

Bali Hai

I see on some of the other posts about alimony being granted in some cases. Can he be awarded alimony if we have only been married 2 yrs in the state of Georgia. I worked hard to put myself through school, and make a decent living that would suck if he could receive alimony.

That would piss you off wouldn't it??

Also I worked full-time night shift while attending school. It's not like he supported me while in school. I have always been the only income earner.
There are other ways a person provides support than just monetary.

Sounds like he is dependant upon you. That's your fault. Plan on paying some alimony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">