• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Division of retirement accounts in MN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don't know if anyone has actually addressed my point in the original post (besides me). Because of our age difference she will retire 7.5 years after me, assuming we retire at the same age. In a 50/50 split her share will have an extra 7.5 years to grow, therefore at retirement, which is what the funds are for, the split WILL NOT result in anything close to 50/50. I think an equitable distribution should take that into account.
It's moot. If you were 60 and she were 20, it wouldn't matter, either.

Bali Hai

I don't know if anyone has actually addressed my point in the original post (besides me). Because of our age difference she will retire 7.5 years after me, assuming we retire at the same age. In a 50/50 split her share will have an extra 7.5 years to grow, therefore at retirement, which is what the funds are for, the split WILL NOT result in anything close to 50/50. I think an equitable distribution should take that into account.

I know I made a second post where I said that an argument against that might be that I had an extra 7.5 years prior to our marriage to fund my retirement. After thinking about that, I don't think it matters. SHE will have an extra 7.5 yrs to fund her retirement after we are divorced, so the two cancel out.

Here's an analogy. For the sake of argument let's say we were to split two identical cars but neither of us were allowed to drive them until retirement. Both were Fords. At retirement mine was still a Ford but hers had now become a Rolls Royce. Would that be fair?
You are divorcing now, not when you retire. What happens to the retirement accounts after you divorce is anyone's guess and is not going to be in the equation. Why weren't you born 7.5 years later or she 7.5 years earlier.

OK, thanks for all the help!

A little off topic but if I agree and sign now and her lawyer files right away (which she says will cost me nothing), what will happen next? Since we will have agreed on all points do we even need to go to court? How soon could it be final?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OK, thanks for all the help!

A little off topic but if I agree and sign now and her lawyer files right away (which she says will cost me nothing), what will happen next? Since we will have agreed on all points do we even need to go to court? How soon could it be final?
Read your court's local rules (well the local rules of the court where this was filed). Also read the rules of procedure. Those should answer your questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">