• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Division of Savings Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

machsz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

My divorce papers state that my I was to receive half of the amount in a savings account my husband had. He gave me a check and refused to produce a statement or any proof that this was actually half the amount. How would this usually be handled? Shouldn't he have to provide proof? Can I have his records of this account subpoenaed myself?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

My divorce papers state that my I was to receive half of the amount in a savings account my husband had. He gave me a check and refused to produce a statement or any proof that this was actually half the amount. How would this usually be handled? Shouldn't he have to provide proof? Can I have his records of this account subpoenaed myself?
You would have to go to court to ask him to produce the records. Whether it's worth it is, of course, up to you.

machsz

When you say go to court, do you mean I have to get an attorney? Can I do this myself? Since our papers state we are to split the account, seems that I shouldn't have to spend money to ensure that I get the half owed me.

LdiJ

When you say go to court, do you mean I have to get an attorney? Can I do this myself? Since our papers state we are to split the account, seems that I shouldn't have to spend money to ensure that I get the half owed me.
How much are we potentially talking about?

mistoffolees

You don't NEED an attorney to file for him to be held in contempt, but your odds of winning are better. You could always ask for him to pay your attorney's fees, but no guarantees that you'd collect it.

You said that $3-4 thousand is at stake. Is that the total value you believe is in the account? If so, how much did he offer you? Or is $3-4 thousand the difference between what you thought you should have gotten and what he actually offered?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">