• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divison of Property Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eternity81

Virginia. My question is if i divorce my wife will she be entitled to get half or any of the the house I just bought? The house was bought in my name, the loan is in my name, the only paper work that she is on is the title. My income was the only income use to qualify for the loan. Hhaving said that if because she is on the title she is entitled to the house can I remove her from the title?

LdiJ

Virginia. My question is if i divorce my wife will she be entitled to get half or any of the the house I just bought? The house was bought in my name, the loan is in my name, the only paper work that she is on is the title. My income was the only income use to qualify for the loan. Hhaving said that if because she is on the title she is entitled to the house can I remove her from the title?
If she is on the title, then she is a 50% owner of the property. Its irrelevant that the loan is in your name only.

Yes, as an equal owner, she is entitled to 50% of the equity in the home.

However, if you just bought the home, it likely that it has little to no equity, unless you made a huge downpayment when you purchased it, therefore its probably a non-issue anyway. You will need to get the judge to order that she sign a quit claim deed to remove her name from the title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">