• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

johneleazer

What is the name of your state? texas (community property state). still married (1991), seperated for 4-5 yrs, still love and care for each other (yea i know!) wife lives in seperate house she purchased, i supplied down payment, she is considering filling bankruptcy because of overpowering debt in her name, one credit card joint owned. i have very favorable credit rating, she has lousy rating, together neither one of us can refinance our houses. she suggested me to file for divorce to protect my stuff. i suggested filing for divorce, her file bankruptcy, we remarry later. i am 60, she is 53. what are our options?

J

johneleazer

i ask for an honest answer, not sarcasm. please reply.

V

velbing

divorce???

Property and debt division in community property states can be very confusing. Be aware however, that if she files bankrupcy, any debts that were incurred during the marriage are yours as well. The creditors can come after you for the whole amount, divorce or not, if she files bankrupcy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">