• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nicole P

What is the name of your state? ohio

my ex-husband and i owned a home together. in our seperation/divorce agreement he gave up his rights and interest to the house, promising to sign a quit claim deed. also in the agreement i was responsible for refinancing to remove his name from the house within 2 years. i attempted this but learned that there is a lien on my house because of debt (several thousand $) he incurred after we split up an was unable to refinance :mad: my attorney did not file a quit claim deed :confused: I thought all of this would have been cleared up in court as this is why i hire an attorney.

does the seperation/divorce count for anything or is he still half owner of the house because the quit claim was not done?
what am i suppose to do?
is it possible he can get out of paying the his debt?

help!

Last edited:

Quitclaim?

Whether the transfer has already taken place depends on the language of the judgment entry. Some entries have language allowing the entry itself to be recorded as a transfer if the party charged with it fails to do so in a reasonable time. Otherwise, you need to file a motion to show cause against your husband to force compliance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">