• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ssc1959

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I want a divorce from my husband. Before we were married (last year), I became injured. I received my settlement a few months ago. I will also receive another settlement. We just closed on a house we have two children together, I want custody of my children and I also want to keep the house, and I heard that he could get some of my settlement, is that true? I used my settlement money for a downpayment on the house. What can I do to gain custody of my children, keep my house and settlement money?
Thank you,
SC

stephenk

go to a family law attorney. the questions you are asking are too complicated to be answered on this message board.

V

VeeGee

ssc1959 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I want a divorce from my husband. Before we were married (last year), I became injured. I received my settlement a few months ago. I will also receive another settlement. We just closed on a house we have two children together, I want custody of my children and I also want to keep the house, and I heard that he could get some of my settlement, is that true? I used my settlement money for a downpayment on the house. What can I do to gain custody of my children, keep my house and settlement money?
Thank you,
SC
I agree with stephenk...You do need to see a lawyer, I don't see any reason why you cannot get custody of your children. As far as the settlement you received, I'm not sure about the law in your state as to your husband getting some of your settlement? The house should be no problem to keep if you refinance it in your name with his consent. I hope this helps a little. But you really need to talk to a lawyer who can help you. Good luck! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">