• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

koolmom42

What is the name of your state?

New Hampshire

I've been divorced now for 15 years this past May. I have
a question. My ex-husband was to pay me child support
til my daughter turned 18 or as long as she is in school.
She turns 18 this October and is only a senior in high school
this means he pays thru the year correct? Also it say if
she goes on to college he must pay 1/2 of her tuition whatever
is left after financing but it also says he pays child support as
long as she is in school. Does that mean as long as she
is in college he needs to pay this? Also he was to pay money
when we got divorced and he never followed thru on it can
I now still go and collect before she turns 18 or how long
do I have? Please answer a.s.a.p.

Denise V

VG1013

koolmom42 said:
What is the name of your state?

New Hampshire

I've been divorced now for 15 years this past May. I have
a question. My ex-husband was to pay me child support
til my daughter turned 18 or as long as she is in school.
She turns 18 this October and is only a senior in high school
this means he pays thru the year correct? Also it say if
she goes on to college he must pay 1/2 of her tuition whatever
is left after financing but it also says he pays child support as
long as she is in school. Does that mean as long as she
is in college he needs to pay this? Also he was to pay money
when we got divorced and he never followed thru on it can
I now still go and collect before she turns 18 or how long
do I have? Please answer a.s.a.p.

Denise V

If your divorce decree states that you ex is to pay CS, then yes, he pays CS until she is 18. If your decree states he pays CS if she attends college as a full time student, then again he must pay CS while she is in college. Look at your decree again, see exactly what it stipulates as far as paying CS.

What money are you talking about that he was to pay? Anything he was ordered by the court to pay...he must pay or he is in contempt. Call a lawyer...he/she can advise you on what you need to do.

K

koolmom42

attys

Do you know what the atty's are called that base payment
on your pay. Because I definitely don't have cash to be
paying an atty but I do want what he was to have paid me.
Thanks for your help.

ktarra617

There are only 4 states that allow child support through college until age 21. they are New York, Massachusets, Indiana and Oregon. All other states end at 18 or when they graduate high school which ever comes last...

VG1013

ktarra617 said:
There are only 4 states that allow child support through college until age 21. they are New York, Massachusets, Indiana and Oregon. All other states end at 18 or when they graduate high school which ever comes last...
Wrong...I got divorced in "NJ" and I received CS for my children way past their 18th B/D. On my divorce decree it states that I shall receive CS until my children graduate or terminate college. No age limit....just when they graduate. My oldest son is 24, and I received CS until he graduated college...which was a couple of months ago. My second son is going to college now, and he's 19 yrs old...I receive CS now, and will continue to receive it until he graduates. Which will be a long time from now, because he's not sure if he wants to be lawyer or a doctor lol. Either way, he's going to college for at least 6-8 years??? I will receive CS until the day he graduates. I don't know what states allow this or not...but NJ obviously did. If I were you Koolmom...I would check into this...and see what the laws are in your state. I think your talking about para-legals???? I'm not too sure about that. " HEY BCB, am I right?" But if I were you, I would chose a lawyer who specializes in issue's like yours. There is nothing like a good lawyer who will fight for your rights...I know, I had one
;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">