• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jennifer1

What is the name of your state? CA - My parents have been going through a divorce since October of 2000. It was supposedly said in court that when the divorce was final that my dad would take his name off of the house that my mom was living in and my mom would take her name off of the house my dad lived in. My mom passed away in October with the divorce still not final. My question is - Does this still stand even though my mom passed away with the divorce still not final? And what happens with the divorce because my mom passed away?

Zephyr

jennifer1 said:
What is the name of your state? CA - My parents have been going through a divorce since October of 2000. It was supposedly said in court that when the divorce was final that my dad would take his name off of the house that my mom was living in and my mom would take her name off of the house my dad lived in. My mom passed away in October with the divorce still not final. My question is - Does this still stand even though my mom passed away with the divorce still not final? And what happens with the divorce because my mom passed away?

well it certainly can't proceed, if they are still married, dad might get everything, did your mom have a will?

jennifer1

No she did not have a will. Is the divorce (and anything that was said in court) automatically dismissed because one of the spouses died?

LdiJ

jennifer1 said:
No she did not have a will. Is the divorce (and anything that was said in court) automatically dismissed because one of the spouses died?
Yes, because the married ended with the death of one of the spouses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">