• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lloyd Sawyer

What is the name of your state? NC, My wife left me 8 mos. ago and now she is asking to move back on our land we purchased together during our 18 years of marriage. Does she have the right to do this?

Lloyd Sawyer

Lloyd Sawyer said:
What is the name of your state? NC, My wife left me 8 mos. ago and now she is asking to move back on our land we purchased together during our 18 years of marriage. Does she have the right to do this?
We have no legal Separation Agreement between us. Please respond back ASAP, Need help.

Lloyd Sawyer

Yes her name is on the deed and we both signed the loan documents together
She has an old trailer in our back yard and thats where she wants to stay now so she can be closer to our children but this interferes with my life even though I am not seeing anyone now. If the divorce is finalized, could she still get part of the land even though I make the payments?

Lloyd Sawyer

Lloyd Sawyer said:
Yes her name is on the deed and we both signed the loan documents together
She has an old trailer in our back yard and thats where she wants to stay now so she can be closer to our children but this interferes with my life even though I am not seeing anyone now. If the divorce is finalized, could she still get part of the land even though I make the payments?
she left with just her belongings and I am sure she wants more than that after 18 years of marriage, whats my rights?

LdiJ

Lloyd Sawyer said:
she left with just her belongings and I am sure she wants more than that after 18 years of marriage, whats my rights?
She will be entitled to 50% of the marital property.....as well as being 50% responsible for the marital debts. How you divide that property is up to you if the two of you can come to an agreement, otherwise it will be up to the judge.

In order to keep the property, you will have to be able to refinance the property in your own name, for enough to cover the mortgage and to buy her out.

Until a judge tells her she can no longer live there, he has every right to do so. Its equally her property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">