• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marco32110

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

A friend of mind, who has been seperated for 16 years from her husband, wishes to divorce him, who lives in Japan. Is there a legal letter or a format to write a letter to send to him stating that he in agreement with the divorce? Also, What do I do if he refuses to sign the letter? She is a low income mother with one child who plans on doing her own filing, is there any other documents she needs for filing. I would appreciate any and all advice. Thank you for your time.

Marco

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
marco32110 said:

A friend of mind, who has been seperated for 16 years from her husband, wishes to divorce him, who lives in Japan. Is there a legal letter or a format to write a letter to send to him stating that he in agreement with the divorce? Also, What do I do if he refuses to sign the letter? She is a low income mother with one child who plans on doing her own filing, is there any other documents she needs for filing. I would appreciate any and all advice. Thank you for your time.

Marco
She should go to legal aid and see what help they can give her.

LdiJ

marco32110 said:

Marco
She really should at least get a consult with an attorney. With a 16 year separation and a husband who lives in another country it might not be as expensive to use one as it might seem....and it would certainly go much quicker and easier with one.

NotSoNew

who lives in Japan? Mom or Dad?

where will be mom be filing? NJ?

generally there is no letter dad would have to sign to say he agrees she can file for an uncontested divorce and its much easier, but he dont have to sign until he is served with the divorce documents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">