• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Darlene1129

If am man thought his first wife got a divorce and she thought he did, and neither one of them filed for a divorce, because of lack of communication and the man marries again, but does not know he is still married to the first wife is the second marriage legal or void, and is he considered a bigamist?

weenor

Yes. Don't think you could be charged because it wasn't intentional but I would think second wife would be kinda pissed that you missed a small detail :rolleyes:

Bali Hai

weenor said:
Yes. Don't think you could be charged because it wasn't intentional but I would think second wife would be kinda pissed that you missed a small detail :rolleyes:
Why does the wife get priority to get pissed in these cases? If the situation reversed what would happen??

weenor

Bali Hai said:
Why does the wife get priority to get pissed in these cases? If the situation reversed what would happen??

Because the second wife does not have a legal marriage.... it doesn't exist....so if he splits tomorrow there is no divorce court to split the stuff. Plus when he files, first wife might hold out for a bit more stuff cause she knows he wants to get remarried and she can make his life miserable. All because pseudo hubby had his head up his butt and didn't follow through. So yeah, I'd be pissed.

Btw- if what you mean by"what if the situation were reversed", is that if it was the wife that screwed up and did not do the first divorce properly...yeah second hubby should be pissed to.

Last edited:

Bali Hai

weenor said:
Because the second wife does not have a legal marriage.... it doesn't exist....so if he splits tomorrow there is no divorce court to split the stuff. Plus when he files, first wife might hold out for a bit more stuff cause she knows he wants to get remarried and she can make his life miserable. All because pseudo hubby had his head up his butt and didn't follow through. So yeah, I'd be pissed.

Btw- if what you mean by"what if the situation were reversed", is that if it was the wife that screwed up and did not do the first divorce properly...yeah second hubby should be pissed to.
Got it... thanks bro

ab2006

divorce questions

Hello, I want to file for divorce. What happens if you don't know where your spouse is living to summons and petition him?

Anisah_H

ab2006 said:
Hello, I want to file for divorce. What happens if you don't know where your spouse is living to summons and petition him?
It would depend on what state you lived in. Most states let you publish a legal notice in the paper of their last known residence for a certain number of days, and then if they did not answer, get a default divorce. Some states will not make a child support order if the other party was not served, however. Most family law attorneys will give a telephone or in-person free consultation, try that and ask them.

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">